Pretoria rapper, JAYHood, kicked it on The Element with The Pristine Queen, Azizzar and chopped it up with her about his latest release #DeepState which dropped on 15 April 2022 on his birthday.
He unpacked the themes and lines of the 14-track project which has features from Blxckie, Priddy Prince, K Fantasy, EX Global, BlakLez, PDotO and more.
Here are the 5 key things that we learnt from JAYHood:
- The album title “DEEP STATE”, for him, refers to a mindset and mind state.
“To me it just means a mindset – it’s a deep mindset and that was the state I was in when I made most of the songs,” which he says he created over the last two years.
- There were times, while he was creating DEEP STATE, when he slept on the couch in the studio. “When you chase the dream, you have to chase the dream! I came here to Joburg to chase the dream – trying to make it happen. You just have to adapt [as you’re] tryna make it work”
- His Mom made him grow the most
“She put a lot of discipline in me and she taught me a lot of responsibility at a really, really early age”
- God and Music got him through some of his darkest times
“I think it’s [his getting through dark times] just by the grace of God and music also kept me alive. It’s very therapeutic for me to speak to the mic”
- “Trappin’ Outta Control” is his favourite song
“I love that song so much because when I made it, I was so happy. I basically had everything that I needed – I was very happy when I made that song” CAT, all #ForTheLoveOfHipHop.
WATCH THE FULL INTERVIEW, HERE:
DOWNLOAD & LISTEN, HERE:
The Element is presented by The Pristine Queen, Azizzar, and broadcasts every weeknight from 18:00-20:00,